＊Director Mika Kuramoto / N.Y.-based Coordinator, Author
1. ProfileOnce an employee of Japan Airlines, she moved to New York, USA shortly following the 9/11 terrorist attacks. She now runs the business consulting firm OFFICE BEAD INC. whose primary objective is to tie together people, culture, heart. A working mother of four, including an eldest daughter who lives with multiple disabilites, she keeps herself active in all aspects of her life.
2. How did you become involved in this organization?
I myself was already looking for an outlet to share my unique experiences with the world and reach out to the wider community of people with disadvantages in society. It was right then that our president took the initiave to suggest founding this organization, and I felt that it was fate.
3. What unique value can you provide the organization?
I’m able to share information between Japan and the US for a variety of different fields. For people in Japan, I can provide resources on American childrearing and other societal matters, including those focused on children with disabilities. I hope to become a bridge between Japan and the greater world for a variety of topics.
4. What kinds of activities are you looking forward to?
Our directors each have their own particular skills and I’m very proud of the unique nature of our organization. I believe that reform is needed across our entire society in order to protect disadvantaged individuals worldwide, and I look forward to coming up with plans to bring that hurdle to a manageable height.
5. What message would you like to share regarding the current COVID crisis?
The diametric difference between the fearful atmosphere in New York and the laxness of Japan has me concerned, but first and foremost I hope you will keep your health and safety as your top priority. We could at any moment become a carrier for the virus who perpetrates its spread, and that leads to greater fear as well as a sense of responsbility. I plan to visit Japan directly once things have calmed down, so please look forward to it.